Tuesday, March 27, 2012

One on One with Karly Kirkpatrick


Karly Kirkpatrick is a YA writer, avid reader, 

high school German and French teacher, and 

mother of a toddler. She is currently pursuing 

an MA in Writing and Publishing at DePaul 

University in Chicago. She lives in Elgin, Illinois

 with her husband, daughter, and two stinky 

                                           Shih Tzus.


Interview with Karly Kirkpatrick:

1)      Skittles or M&M’s?

Definitely Sour Skittles!

2)      Do you have any songs or a playlist for any of your books? If so what songs?         

I don’t have a specific list. While writing Into the Shadows, I listened to a lot of punk, Nine Inch Nails, and Rage Against the Machine. After that I’ve just used music that helped me write. Mostly I listen to Mumford and Sons, Foster the People, Oasis, or Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds while writing, regardless of the topic.

3)      Where do your story ideas come from?

I like to take every day problems and give them a twist. I have a background in history as well, so sometimes historical themes pop up and are mixed in with paranormal elements.

4)      On average how long does it take you from start to finish to write a book?

It’s hard to say. My first book took a year, my second, two months, the third, four months. That’s not including edits, just the first draft. Edits usually take an additional 6-8 weeks. I work full time and lately my schedule hasn’t allowed for a lot of writing time, so my current book will take a few months, I’m guessing.

5)      What is your favorite color?

Hmmm, tough question. Maybe red, but then I don’t wear a lot of red. I do have a lot of it in my house though!

6)      Where is your dream getaway location?

On a beach, anywhere in the Mediterranean. It’s my favorite place to travel to.

7)      What mythical animal would you choose to make real?

Unicorns. Hands down. They’re sooooooo pretty!

8)      When you were a child what did you think you would do for a job?

When I was in 4th to 6th grade, I wanted to be an author. In high school, I wanted to be in musical theater. Then I became a teacher, which I still do now as my day job.

9)       Tell me something that most people wouldn’t know about you!

Most of my readers probably wouldn’t know that I speak multiple languages. In addition to English, I speak German, French, and Spanish, along with a little Italian. I also spend a lot of summers traveling around Europe.

10)   Do you have any big goals you are working towards in the writing world?

 Nothing major. This year I’m working on finishing off the Into the Shadows trilogy. My goals are pretty simple, write books and put them out for readers to read!

11)  Coffee or Tea?

Neither, actually! I don’t drink hot drinks. I’m a water girl, mostly! Not very exciting. If I’m dying for caffeine, I’ll have a Pepsi.

12)  Swimming in the ocean or swimming in the pool?

I like going to the ocean, but prefer swimming in pools. No mystery critters in pools!

13)  What is your advice for aspiring young writers?

Work hard, finish your book, and work with other writers to make it the best it can be.

14)   Any interesting tidbit about yourself or your books!

An interesting tidbit about my books would be that a lot of the places are based off of real places, either where I grew up or live now. I also refer to restaurants that I frequent.

~Thank you so much!

12 comments:

  1. WOW ,,, thank you for sharing i guess ,,, I like to read interviews with authors :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like interviews :) I like them too!

      Delete
  2. Good interview Lauren! And if you finish your first draft in just a few months then you must write alot!

    Bri @ Kindling the Fire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know!! I could NEVER write that fast!! O.o

      Delete
  3. I love, love, love Karly's music taste and high-five on the sour Skittles! And wow, I had no idea she spoke so many languages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I personally don't like sour skittles... but I'm glad you guys like them :)

      Delete
  4. GREAT Interview!! Karly is a great gal! So glad to be an Indelible with her.

    And hey! Look at all those followers over there. I'm celebrating 700 this week (thanks to your giveaway) and it seems like just yesterday you were celebrating 100. YAY!! for you!! You go girl!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I was introduced to you guys!! :) You are all awesome (=

      Congrats!!! I am so happy for you!! Hopefully you get a few more before the giveaway is through =) I have such great followers, I am so happy that they all liked me (or my giveaways ;) ) enough to follow. Nice hearing from you!!

      Delete
  5. I love this interview! It definitely made me want to give the book a try! First off anyone who speaks that many languages is someone I totally envy because I have always wanted that (I'm TERRIBLE at foreign languages) and her music taste is awesome:) Nice job Lauren and great interview Ms. Kirkpatrick:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I stopped taking Spanish and switched to Latin... it's a dead language but that makes it no easier >.< I envy her awesomeness at learning multiple languages, and of course I am jealous that she travels EUROPE!! Not fair!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for having me Lauren! I wish I had the time to sit and write some more. I'm hoping very soon. I need to use the hours my daughter spends at soccer and dance to write more. That should be my new goal for April! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for doing the interview!!

      I think that would be a GREAT goal!! You would get a lot of writing done! =)

      Delete