Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Review: Experience Oppression

Title: Oppression
Author: Jessica Therrien

Book Summary:

“Elyse knows what it means to keep a secret.  She's been keeping secrets her whole life.  Two, actually.  First, that she ages five times slower than average people, so that while she looks eighteen years old, she's closer to eighty.  Second, that her blood has a mysterious power to heal.  For Elyse, these things don't make her special.  They make life dangerous.  After the death of her parents, she's been careful to keep her secret as closely guarded as possible.  Now, only one other person in the world knows about her age and ability.  Or so she thinks.  Elyse is not the only one keeping secrets.  There are others like her all over the world, descendants of the very people the Greeks considered gods.  She is one of them, and they have been waiting for her for a long time.  Some are waiting for her to put an end to centuries of traditions that have oppressed their people under the guise of safeguarding them.  Others are determined to keep her from doing just that.  But for Elyse, the game is just beginning - and she's not entirely willing to play by their rules.”

            I am a very social girl.  That said, I do not think I could voluntarily stay away from other people, for any reason.  But that is exactly what Elyse does.  For OVER 50 YEARS.  Yikes.  Elyse grows up knowing that she isn’t exactly, well, normal.  Her first clue might be that she ages FIVE times slower than an average human.  But, if that doesn’t convince her, the fact that her blood has the power to heal people just might.  When her parents suddenly pass away, Elyse has to learn to adapt and blend in all on her own.  As she moves on with her life, Elyse meets the mysterious William and tries desperately to stay away from him.  She is pulled slowly into William’s world where she learns things, dangerous things, about herself and the world they live in.  Will she fulfill the prophecy?  Or will she take fate into her own hands…

            Right away, I really connect with Elyse’s character!  She obviously has had a sheltered life but, despite that, she is FULL of spunk.  Elyse stands up for what she believes in and refuses to be intimidated into abandoning her loved ones.  I respect her and understand what she thinks and feels.  Her character is loveable and easy to relate too!  I also feel attached to William but in a different way.  He obviously cares for Elyse and would do anything to protect her, which is why I like him so much.  I view Elyse as my friend, and he tries to protect and make her happy.

            The mythology in Oppression is ASTOUNDING.  I love how detailed it is.  Every “Descendant” comes from a bloodline, and the powers are determined through the bloodlines.  Therrien does a fantastic job of giving the descendants powers that are unique but that still make complete sense.  I did not get to see nearly as many cool powers in action as I would have liked, but I suppose I can wait for book two for that!

            I cannot help but notice how fast Elyse’s relationship with William turns serious.  For someone who has spent her life hiding in shadows and keeping her distance, it takes Elyse almost no time to break free of those habits.  In the very beginning of the book, she also blindly does what William asks of her, which I don’t think fits her character!  That said, throughout the book I see Elyse grow more confident and become an amazing person. 

The Cover:

            This cover is a real eye grabber.  It hooks my attention with its light against dark contrast and makes me instantly curious about its contents.  I am not really sure what the circles of lighter color around the face represent, but they add depth and help frame the girl even more.  I really like this cover!

I give this book 4.5 out of 5: Very Highly Recommended

For more on Jessica Therrien visit her website: http://jessica-therrien.blogspot.com/

To buy Oppression go here: 

8 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to read this book. It sounds super good and I might buy it with my amazon giftcard soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really good! I've been seeing it around a lot, but I haven't seen any of the blogs I follow reviewing it so I haven't spent the $$$ for it. I'll definitely check it out next time I have a bit of money for books. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Kali!! :) I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  3. It always gives me a thrill to read YA retellings of Greek mythology, so needless to say, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The cover looks awesome, too! It reminded me of Angelini's Starcrossed, which I enjoyed immensely as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE mythology :) Starcrossed is one of my favorites (=

      Delete
  4. I've been wanting to read this book. However, the whole going against her character thing puts me off a bit. I may check it out from the library before buying it. GFC Amber Lane

    ReplyDelete
  5. +JMJ+

    It does sound like an interesting premise, but your observation that Elyse becomes attached to William so quickly and lets him boss her around a bit, despite the facts that a) they've just met and b) she's actually eighty years old is putting me off now. =( It seems that we're dealing with three ages here, each one lower than the other: her chronological age, her apparent age, and her emotional age! LOL! ;-)

    ReplyDelete